01 Nov Berghaus Frendo Insulated GORE-TEX® Jacket Review
Do you live in an area with super cold winters? Or maybe you just spend a great deal of your winter outdoors while hiking, snowshoeing, climbing, sledding, or skiing. I used the Berghaus Frendo Insulated GORE-TEXÂ® jacket on my recent winter trip, and I have to say that it did the job and then some.
Husky sledding in my Berghaus jacket.
Why Buy Berghaus?
The brand Berghaus has been a trusted name in the outdoor business for over 40 years. It offers many options for winter-lovers in bold, bright colors that aren’t bland and boring. If you’re adventurous like me, you can appreciate the need for a nice, warm coat that isn’t black or navy. I love all the color choices Berghaus has to offer.
The company is all about innovation, and after more than 40 years in the business, it is still producing innovative designs that make our lives better when we’re on an excursion. As an outdoor company, it practices sustainability and green initiatives. From supporting environmental causes to improving sustainable practices, Berghaus cares about keeping the planet around for a long time.
What I liked about the Berghaus Frendo Insulated GORE-TEXÂ® jacket?
There are so many great things about this jacket that I don’t know where to start. But let’s start with the warranty. It carries a lifetime warranty for waterproof protection from the elements. You know you’re getting a great product when it comes with an outstanding warranty like that.
This is the warmest jacket in the GORE-TEXÂ® line, and it’s exactly what you need if you’re headed to the backcountry for an extended time or skiing in extreme locations. The hood is designed so you can wear a helmet on over it comfortably. It has a detachable snow skirt that will zip to your pants, and will hold everything you can imagine in the various sized 7 pockets. It includes venting options so you can open it up to let the air in if you need to.
The insulation is Berhaus’ innovative design that’s mapped to the body to keep you warm in all the coldest places. It creates air pockets between the layers of insulation that keep you warm, and it’s made from fabrics that don’t absorb water. There are adjustable elements in the cuffs and hem so you can customize the jacket for optimum comfort.
When wearing this on my long winter excursion through Norway and the Arctic Circle, I was never uncomfortable wearing it. The GORE-TEXÂ® kept me dry but also allowed the sweat to breathe. I was never cold or wet under this jacket. I’d buy this jacket ten times over for all the amazing features and storage pockets it has. I don’t ever see another reason to get another jacket for a long time.
This jacket is so much more than a typical winter coat. It has some great features that make it the best warm coat I’ve ever used. Check out these great details:
- 932g weight to keep you warm in the most severe weather without a ton of bulk.
- 2-layer breathable GORE-TEXÂ® fabric that breathes enough for sweat to wick away from your body but won’t absorb water.
- HydroloftÂ® insulation system that keeps you warm by creating pockets of air.
- Comfortable, relaxed fit so you aren’t restricted when you’re actively hiking or climbing.
- Adjustable cuffs (hook and loop) so you can customize the fit for the activity in which you are participating.
- Adjustable hem (drawcord) to make the jacket as tight or loose as you’d like it.
- Underarm vents and two-way zippers for comfort on warmer days.
- 7 pockets (one YKK AquaGuardÂ® zipped sleeve pocket, two YKK AquaGuardÂ® zipped Napoleon chest pockets, two zipped hand-warmer pockets, one internal stretch pocket, and one internal zipped pocket) to hold just about anything you need to take with you and keep safe.
- Detachable snow skirt that zips to your pants for added comfort and protection when you need it.
- Helmet-compatible hood with stiffened peak.
How would I improve the Berghaus Frendo Insulated GORE-TEXÂ® jacket?
I can’t think of one thing about this jacket that I’d change. I’ve been wearing it for awhile now, and I’m completely satisfied with the warmth it provides and the comfort for my winter adventures. Get yours here!